Originally Posted by momtofour
If her reading is so high, can she work on writing, research, doing PPT presentations for the class on a subject, doing book reports, etc... anything that would actually be helping her learn and grow??
Are there any other kids with whom she can work?
Theresa
I think it's great (for your DD)that her reading group is also the base for social studies and writing. So it's worth it to push to have her actually in a group that is actually at her level. If she has to be placed with older kids to get a group who are at level z, that's shouldn't be a problem in a school where the kids are expecting to move around for part of the day.

Since that is so reasonable, I'd start there.
I agree that having her be helper is morally repugnant, and would put in writing you feeling on the matter.

If they offer to do an IQ test, I'd agree. Once the first accomidation comes, and they see how she does, others may follow more easily.

My main concern is that without a testing system that goes 'beyond Z' (why is this reminding me of a Dr.Suess book?)
that she is already well beyond Z and they have no way to track that. According to this chart, Z is all there is -

http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/classroombooks/browse_level.asp

So if they balk at the idea at placing her with older kids who have tested into 'Z' level, I would ask for actual specifics about how they will track her progress. If they say that they don't need 'all that' for her, then why do they do it for the other kids? If it has value for them, then it has value for her.

I wouldn't settle for a 'wxyz' group because most likely your daughter is already beyond 'z'

Is partial homeschooling an option?

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com