With my son, we didn't originate anything overtly educational. Instead, we just reacted to his questions and promptings. It worked well for us.

Magic Treehouse books are good reading. We started reading those when my DD was 3. No trauma and lots of enjoyment. We have also done Boxcar Children. Not thrilling, but enjoyable. I also bought a book that was a collection of excerpts from classics such as Pippi Longstocking and others. Often we found ourselves interested enough to go buy the full book so that we could read the rest of it.

Pushing up a class is great - but the wonder will wear off after a while. Be aware that it is coming.

3 is about the age that we got away with the 'no tantrums' sign at home. Things that are written down have a wonderful power. As the rule was written on a sign and hung in a prominent location in the living room, it worked great for several months. 'What does the sign say?' 'No fits.' Head hung in dejection.... crushed at being robbed of the right to throw a tantrum.... but tantrum over.

Is he on a multivitamin? What about an Omega 3 supplement? Lots of kids do well on these. Omega worked like a miracle on my son to help calm things down a bit. Weird, but I have heard it from other parents as well.

Good luck.... when is the testing?

Mary