It's the thought of being stuck with my fussy, unmotivated pg child all day that makes me pause about homeschooling. Ugh. I'd also like to work full-time, but that's another issue.

Yes, unschooling provides a fresh perspective. I'm a former teacher of history, but have since completed a library degree and see how Web 2.0 tools can revolutionize learning. Most schools are doing nothing with Web 2.0 or 3.0.

I actually dislike textbooks, rote memorization, and the drill-kill approach; these were some of the reasons I left teaching.

I think the trick to homeschooling any child, if there's any, is to find out what works for you and your child. As a former teacher, I like some (definitely not all) the social aspects from formal schooling.

But the more I read, the more I see the unschool/ homeschool movement in a new light and how you can meet a child's social and academic needs better outside the structure of formal schooling. You start to see how unschoolers consider the community/ Internet as your oyster.