Hi perplexed,

Sorry I didn't see this and respond sooner. Re online coursework, I'd look at the talent search sites (CTY, Northwestern, Stanford EPGY etc). For math, we used www.aleks.com when ds was in elementary and wasn't allowed to accelerate. Once he got to middle school (different school) we were able to show the record of what he'd done in aleks (it's all tied to state standards) and he was placed where he needed to be with no questions and he's doing great smile

I also have a thought re the "looks like he has no motivation" - that would have described our ds very well at 9 - he's also dysgraphic, and at 9 years old we were in the middle of trying to get him accommodations including keyboarding at school, trying to learn for ourselves which accommodations he would/wouldn't need etc, all that. There was definitely a component of being underchallenged in the areas of his strengths that led to what appeared to be lack of motivation going on big time with our ds, but there was also another thing going on related to being 2e and his dysgraphia - he was keenly aware that he was different than the other kids and like many high IQ kids he is extremely sensitive to those differences - and that also *looked* like a lack of motivation. So just something to consider and keep in mind, it might not all be related to lack of challenge.

We also never were able to get our ds placed at the grade level he needed to be in for challenges in the areas of his strengths in elementary school. I don't mention that to be discouraging, but instead to let you know that life got sooooo much better in middle school! Once we were in the world of changing classes plus at a different school we found it was much easier to advocate for appropriately challenging placement smile

Best wishes,

polarbear