Hi Lori,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for the link to that article. This part really struck me:

Is it any wonder that many of these �sensory kids� don�t like playing sports? Their body moves awkwardly as they are uncoordinated, they can�t run fast or much on the field, their stamina doesn�t last very long.

Yet, what these kids really do need is exactly what they try to avoid: play sports.

It's a vicious cycle, isn't it?

Good point on the loose joints, I forgot that one. My DS has slightly loose joints, as do I. I wonder how much that plays in as well, which could then look like dyspraxia?

The one thing he will do is swimming, but he shows no interest in racing. He is actually a pretty decent swimmer now (after many many many hours of lessons). I think the water takes the weight off of his slightly loose joints which probably helps.

I'm not really sure how much the OT helped our DS to be honest. We paid for it ourselves, as there was no diagnosis either. I personally think it was a waste of money in our case, but who knows. I'm surprised to hear the doctor say to you that it was too late at age 11, I didn't think there were age cutoffs, that is interesting.

My son's handwriting always tested as fine and he doesn't seem to fatigue with writing. I can't wait until they move more and more to the computer so his writing load will be reduced.

So now, I'm thinking about possible ADD-PI, Sluggish Cognitive Tempo, introversion, dyspraxia and/or loose joints. Sigh!

ETA: I meant to add about the sports...My son goes to a private (parochial) school and I am shocked at the emphasis on sports. I guess I didn't think about it, but they have a basketball team and the boys who are good at basketball definitely get a lot of positive attention. Recess is now mostly sports of some sort (shooting baskets, etc). It's so hard raising a boy who isn't good at/isn't interested in sports. It really is such a primary way that boys meet each other and make friends, etc.

Last edited by maya99; 12/22/11 12:54 PM.