Originally Posted by EBennett
DD4 (now 5) was given the RIAS to get into the gifted program in our district.
...I saw that they don't take the RIAS to get into the DYS. Should I have her retested? We looked into getting the WPPSI, but it was super expensive.
heres from the website:
Reynolds Intellectual Assessment Scales (RIAS)
Cecil R. Reynolds, Ph.D., and Randy W. Kamphaus, Ph.D.

Here is a comprehensive and cost-effective intelligence test--a reliable instrument that gives clinicians the information they need to make decisions about classification, selection, and educational placement.

The RIAS is an individually administered test of intelligence appropriate for ages 3 through 94 years, which includes a co-normed, supplemental measure of memory. The RIAS includes a two-subtest Verbal Intelligence Index (VIX), a two-subtest Nonverbal Intelligence Index (NIX), and a Composite Intelligence Index (CIX). The CIX assesses overall general intelligence, including the ability to reason, solve problems, and learn. The VIX assesses verbal intelligence by measuring verbal problem solving and verbal reasoning where acquired knowledge and skills are important. The NIX assesses nonverbal intelligence by measuring reasoning and spatial ability, using novel situations and stimuli that are predominantly nonverbal. Administration of the four intelligence subtests by a trained, experienced examiner requires approximately 20 to 25 minutes.A Composite Memory Index (CMX) can be derived from the two supplementary memory subtests, Verbal Memory and Nonverbal Memory. The Verbal Memory subtest provides a basic, overall measure of short-term memory skills (e.g., working memory, short-term memory, learning) and assesses recall in the verbal domain. The Nonverbal Memory subtest measures the ability to recall pictorial stimuli in both concrete and abstract dimensions. These short-term memory assessments require approximately 10 minutes of additional testing time.

So my guess is that the test is 'too short' to be a DYS qualifying test, but the scores indicate that she is the kind of kid that they are looking to identify. I would steer clear of the WPPSI as she is too old and too gifted to get a score that would truely reflect her IQ. When she turns 6 you can get a WISC, or get a SB V now, but if your goal is to apply to DYS, I would recommend getting an Achievement test - they are cheaper - and using the RIAS plus the achievement test to create a portfolio (assuming that the achievement test scores support the application.)

As for getting the school to stop dragging it's feet - have you requested a meeting in writing (not email, a real letter) yet? That seems to help, and cc the whole world.

As for gradeskips, and what to do with her, unfortunately a test can't provide that sort of information, it can only back up observations. So post more about what behaviors you see that make you suspect that she might need something other than what the school usually offers. A really good book that outlines all the possible ways to accomidate a child is

Re-forming ( Reforming ) Gifted Education: How Parents and ...www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10044.aspxCached - Similar
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
BOOK REVIEW (Davidson Institute) - A review of The Re-forming of Gifted Education by Karen Rogers

Also download and print out this excellent resource and start chewing!
http://print.ditd.org/young_scholars/Guidebooks/Davidson_Guidebook_Advocating.pdf

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com