ColinsMum, my ds12 has graphing software that he uses on his laptop due to his dysgraphia - he knows how to use it and likes it but.... he also likes his graphing calculator for some reason! I'm like you, I don't see the advantage of a graphing calculator, but fwiw ds likes having it.

Coll, I think at 6 I wouldn't worry whether or not it's a scientific calculator, he can probably handle either ignoring the extra functionality or he might be interested in it. What I wouldn't do is invest $ in a scientific calculator when he doesn't need one yet simply because when he gets to the point in school where he needs one, the school he's at may require a specific brand/type of calculator.

Prior to getting his scientific calculator, our ds had a simple Casio but I don't remember what model # it was. We've also long ago had the very inexpensive calculators you can pick up for next to nothing at the drug/grocery/whatever store with only basic calculation capability and each of our kids loved them just for fun. I was impressed with how much learning they could accomplish with just +-x/!

The other thing you might do, if you have an iTouch or iPad or iWhatever ... or... on your computer... download a freebie calculator. OTOH, our kids really loved having the actual thing to hold in their hands.

polarbear

polarbear