Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Coll Seeking calculator recommendations - 12/11/11 06:32 PM
DS6 wants a calculator for Christmas, for fun around the house - no calculators allowed in school yet. I don't think we're ready for a scientific calculator (or maybe we are, and I just give him my old one, which is a simple TI one). He specifically wants a calculator where he can read the equations in the display screen - not a calculator where you type 22+45, and as soon as you type the 45, the 22 disappears. Any recommendations?
Posted By: epoh Re: Seeking calculator recommendations - 12/11/11 08:19 PM
An iPod touch? ;p
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Seeking calculator recommendations - 12/11/11 08:36 PM
DS has a Casio FX-991ES Plus which he's been very happy with (and I've been very impressed by - calculators have come a long way :-) In particular, it has the feature your DS wants of displaying the calculation in full and its answer.

IMO, at 6 your DS is probably ready not to be confused by a scientific calculator and you might as well get him one; it'll last longer than a more basic one.

On the other hand, I have friends who swear by graphics calculators for mathy kids, and I've never quite seen the point there - it's not clear to me that they have any advantage over the combination of a scientific calculator plus Geogebra for when you want to plot things. I could be missing something there, though.
Posted By: polarbear Re: Seeking calculator recommendations - 12/12/11 06:45 PM
ColinsMum, my ds12 has graphing software that he uses on his laptop due to his dysgraphia - he knows how to use it and likes it but.... he also likes his graphing calculator for some reason! I'm like you, I don't see the advantage of a graphing calculator, but fwiw ds likes having it.

Coll, I think at 6 I wouldn't worry whether or not it's a scientific calculator, he can probably handle either ignoring the extra functionality or he might be interested in it. What I wouldn't do is invest $ in a scientific calculator when he doesn't need one yet simply because when he gets to the point in school where he needs one, the school he's at may require a specific brand/type of calculator.

Prior to getting his scientific calculator, our ds had a simple Casio but I don't remember what model # it was. We've also long ago had the very inexpensive calculators you can pick up for next to nothing at the drug/grocery/whatever store with only basic calculation capability and each of our kids loved them just for fun. I was impressed with how much learning they could accomplish with just +-x/!

The other thing you might do, if you have an iTouch or iPad or iWhatever ... or... on your computer... download a freebie calculator. OTOH, our kids really loved having the actual thing to hold in their hands.

polarbear

polarbear
Posted By: Coll Re: Seeking calculator recommendations - 12/14/11 04:45 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. He definitely likes having the actual thing to hold in his hands, particularly as a fun thing to do at bedtime. I think maybe I'll just go find my old scientific calculator from college and give him that one. Thanks!
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Seeking calculator recommendations - 12/14/11 05:23 AM
Oh dear, good luck starting down that road! They are very addictive, you know. smile DS was 5 or so when he started on calculators, and now he has a dozen different ones and still craves more. I think the one that he has that you might like is the Sharp WriteView; it's one of his favorites. There are multiple models of it, but we got one for about $20.

Don't forget to get him a slide rule to go with them!
Posted By: Coll Re: Seeking calculator recommendations - 12/14/11 07:37 PM
Wow, I googled the Sharp WriteView, and it even shows fractions the way they are *supposed* to look instead of with a dash (3/4). That looks like a great choice, thanks for the recommendation!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum