Originally Posted by polarbear
I think what the teacher means is that her handwriting ability isn't up to speed with your dd's thought processes or the high volume of the thoughts she'd like to express. This isn't uncommon at all in the very early years of elementary, for children with any level of overall ability. Our elementary schools offered a lot of options for "writing" in K-2 grade - children didn't just write, they drew, told stories, created plays etc. If you want to help your dd develop her "written expression" have her tell you stories verbally, let her use Garage Band or something like that on the computer to record stories, or have her draw pictures to illustrate stories.

Best wishes,

polarbear

I agree that that is what the issue is. I was somewhat not surprised that she commented on dd's writing. I volunteer on a weekly basis in the classroom and have noticed that she is the top reader in the class, yet with her writing she is one of the weaker students when it comes to forming her letters. Overall I was not extremely concerned b/c she is still only 5 and it's kindergarten but when the teacher mentioned that she is getting frustrated that's when I realized that it is somewhat of an issue. My dd is not the type of student to show her emotions/frustration in a classroom, she is rather shy. So for her teacher to pick up on it it must be a fairly big problem for her.

FWIW I really commend my dd's teacher for her instruction and emphasis on correct letter formation. I work as a substitute teacher and I have subbed for many kindergarten classes where there is no real instruction on correct formation of letters. I've seen many 2nd and 3rd graders who write their letters in strange and inefficient ways.