Originally Posted by polarbear
You've had IQ testing done, but have you had a private professional look at the results in-depth, and have you had any achievement testing done? The reason I ask that is that yes, what you describe sounds like it could be ADHD, but it also could be other things, and our experience has been that it's important to really understand the full picture before worrying that it's solely a lack of appropriate curriculum and challenge in school.

For example (and this is only one example, it's not necessarily anything at all related to your ds) but our ds also had all the very same challenges in 2nd grade. We already knew what his IQ was from previous testing for a gifted program at school, but that testing hadn't included any kind of analysis of his scores - all we knew was he had a high IQ, and we had a report with 4 different numbers on it, one of which was relatively low compared to the others but still very high. DS went through a full neuropsych review once he started having the inattention and organizational difficulties in school (we sent him through a private eval because his teacher was convinced he had ADHD and we were convinced there was nothing going on at all except a teacher who didn't like him and refused to believe he was as intellectually capable as he is). The IQ testing with the neuropsych had essentially the same result, but this time the neuropsych recognized that that one dip in scores meant something and did further testing which revealed a severe fine motor neurological disability - this impacted his writing which impacted his time/speed etc. DS did need and benefit from a more challenging curriculum, but he also needed help with accommodations for the fine motor challenges, and had we simply put him into a higher level group at school he still would have had the organizational and time/speed etc issues if we hadn't understood what was really behind it.

So - fwiw, I wouldnt' assume it's ADHD, it could be many different things. You need someone to look at the full spectrum of what's going on with your ds, then you'll have the knowledge you need to know how to proceed, combined with data to back up your decision.

You can ask the school to do the eval if you want to - make the request in writing. If you can afford it or if your insurance will cover it, you might find it more helpful to have a private eval simply because there will be no agenda re services and private evals tend to give a bit more information - depending on where you live. Some areas have thorough evals through the schools; our area doesn't.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Thanks polarbear. I think there is something going on, not sure about fine motor skills (we had an OT eval done a year or so ago for that). But I totally agree and I'm on the school's side on this one. If he can't handle the pace due to organizational challenges by whatever cause, then they need to be cognizant of that. I guess I just wish there was a third way, where he could get the challenge he needs along with accommodations.