Hi all, first post here. Hope this is the right place.

Here's my story. Just looking for some folks who can help me hash some of this out.

DS9, third grade, parochial school in an affluent town. We think he is bright. However, the school won't put him in the advanced reading and math groups. So we inquire as to why. They say that he doesn't complete the work he already has, he has issues with time management, teacher will call on him and he's not at the place in the book where he should be, etc.

So we go and get some IQ testing done as a start. Scores come back at 135. Oy. So he obviously has the ability to be in these groups. So we show the school the scores and they say that they agree he can handle the content, but until he shows he has the work habits, they can't move him.

The more I read, the more I am starting to think he has ADD-PI (primarily inattentive). Perhaps that "sluggish cognitive tempo" subset as well. My hunch is that his intelligence is masking the ADD, in terms of achievement, yet his ADD might be masking his intelligence as well. Making him present as an average student.

Our concern is that the school is trying to accommodate his weakness by placing him in a lower-level reading and math groups, yet by doing this they are ignoring his other need, to have material that is at his level. This placement could also be exacerbating the ADD-PI, which according to some expert is really boredom and lack of motivation (arousal).

Anyhow, so that is the deal. I guess my question is where do I go from here? The school is dead set that there will be no moving until he shows improvement on the time/speed issues. Homeschooling is not an option.