Hi Master of none -
I have a Freshman that uses a mac book for virtually all academics - per his IEP. It is essential given that he is profoundly dyslexic, dysgraphic and cannot spell. He was most concerned about what his peers would think about him using a computer, and for the first two weeks of school would not use it. Once he did finally begin to use it, he found that the either kids paid no attention, or they were interested/impressed.

My guy came from a private school that assigned mac books to all students and teachers from grade 6-8. He learned strategies for organization/file management, using the text to voice feature for self editing and reading, and improved his typing skills (slightly). He has recently begun to use Dragon for homework. It is not without its flaws, but it is quicker and spells better.

So - what would I do - If your child needs the laptop I would insist that it is written in the IEP. If he needs copy of class notes, study guides, tests provided in an electronic format, electronic graphic organizers, etc I would also get this in the IEP. This is the way you insure that he will have access to this important tool.

When we shopped for a laptop my son was most concerned with battery life - he knew from his middle school how important it is to have all day access without being tied to an electrical outlet! He has a hard shell case and keeps the laptop in his backpack when not in use. He carries his backpack all day. So far, no theft - but it is on my mind and radar screen. During after school activities, he locks it in his locker. He has not had any trouble keeping it safe in the sleeve within his back pack. At his former middle school, he was issued a very durable laptop case with a shoulder strap. It was a bit geeky, but it was mandated for all the kids. This freed up space in the backpack, but it was an additional item to remember and carry.

Keeping the laptop charged is another concern. My son is in the habit of plugging it in each night before he goes to bed. His middle school remotely shut down the laptops at 10:00 each night (not sure how they did this!) - this was protection against late night game playing and distractions. They also blocked many sites. Now that DS is in HS, we don't think he needs these restrictions - but it is something to think about.

Hope this helps a bit - if you have more specific questions, post back!