DD9 is taking the Otis Lenon this morning. This test plus the State Mastery test is used to determine giftedness. I guess if your child gets a qualifying score, (which is not published) he/she is identified as gifted and a conference with the parents is held. My DD9, 4th grade is obviously gifted. I assume they are using last year's Mastery Test scores...which she did great on...perfect in writing, 1 wrong in Math, High School level for reading and comprehension.

So I got some samples of things they test on the OLSAT...Not actual test questions, just things like analogies and some pattern recognition...

She actually didn't do so great on what I gave her.
I was surprised that she didn't come up with some of the patterns on her own. Does this mean she isn't going to do well on this test?

How is it administered. I thought I read that this was not a timed test, but the note home said that they would have 40 minutes to complete it. Is this enough time? Does a teacher read the question, give a moment to answer and them read the next question, or do the students read the questions on their own? I have been asking to get her grade skipped, at least in Math, but have gotten nowhere. I'm hoping this test helps our case, but will the results show that she is advanced or are they able to show that she is way advanced.

Judging from the samples we looked at, there is no way she is going to get ALL the answers correct. So, I doubt she will hit the ceiling, but we shall see. She also scored 99.6% for a Woodcock Johnson achievement test recently...

Does this indicate she should do well on this OLSAT?

She slept well, ate a decent breakfast and "excersised this morning" to get her energy up...She is not a morning person...:)