My DD7 (almost 8) is in the 3rd grade and did a mid year skip last year. This is his first year of a HG classroom and his program is also geared to writers (in my opinion). He has had IQ testing to apply for this program and is PG, but we got word from the teacher about a few weeks into the school year that he was having behavior issues. The first several weeks they were doing assessments that were extremely writing focused. He cannot sit at a desk and write for long periods - we went ahead and had further nueropsychological assessments and he did get an ADHD diagnosis but the neuropsych believes that the writing is extremely tedious for him - he has average PSI so she suggested getting him to the point where he does not have to physically write - either voice recognition software, keyboarding, dictation, etc.

I don't think the school can keep your child out of the gifted program because of his disabilities if he otherwise has scores that would qualify. It is against the law. They should have him in the gifted program and provide him with the right accomodations. I would strongly recommend a full nueropsychological evaluation with IQ, Achievement, and LD/ADHD testing with someone that you trust and can help advocate for you.