I was thinking that it might be a nice idea to create a thread devoted to small victories. Many of us write about frustrations with schools and our advocacy struggles, and I think it would be good to have a place where we can catalogue stuff that worked out.

I'll start.

DS11 had to change schools this year when his old school moved far away. The old school was wonderful in many ways, as it was run by a giftie who hired very capable teachers. Last year in 7th grade, DS finished half of a high school geometry course and did very well in it.

This year, his new school put him in a slow-moving geometry course. They just finished Chapter 2 [out of 12] on Friday, 2.5 months into the school year! eek It looks like they won't finish the course this year ---- they didn't finish the algebra course last year and had to go over square roots in August, which is one reason why the class is so far behind. DS was going nuts.

I had been trying to get an appropriate math placement for DS since the summer with little luck. I had a talk with him ten days ago, and suggested that HE say something. I told him that the message would probably carry more weight if it came from him instead of a person who could be seen as a pushy mom.

Well, he said something the next day and they agreed to let him study independently. He's thrilled. In one week, he finished reviewing all the material he did last year and started on a new chapter, and he's finally happy in math class again. I'm proud of him for standing up for himself, and for doing it in such a way that the adults listened to him. grin

Any other stories?