When my dd was 5yo, I found this difficult as well. Everything I tried to introduce, she seemed to already know. It took us awhile to find the spot where she was challenged and learning new things. I found that place by compacting curriculum and moving very quickly for about a year (as in going through almost 3 grade levels of math). It was difficult and a little scary at the time because I was using her brothers as a reference point and getting a little panicked at how to keep up with her.

We did find a balance point eventually though there are still times when I feel like I am being dragged behind her because she tends to learn whole to parts so while I am trying to introduce something, she already has it figured out and is ready to move on. I am used to her now, though, and don't "panic" anymore.

Like someone else mentioned, I find it best to use a high level spine and plan to go very deeply into subjects like history and science. I have the materials on hand and dd is nearly always very interested in learning more so I am prepared to go there with her. She is 9yo and currently going as deep or deeper into subjects than her brothers in middle and high school.

Donna, mom to ds15, ds13, and dd9.

www.ptmom.blogspot.com