Interestingly, our experience has been the opposite of what many here describe, with DD's teachers urging her to choose books that are too easy. She has taken (at her behest) many quizzes on some website that approximates AR and gets 9/10 or 10/10 on books ranging up to 6th-7th grade or so, but at school she is being given books in the 3rd grade range or so (she is in second). However, I don't believe she has had her Lexile tested, so maybe that's why. I have decided not to care about this too much since she does a lot of independent reading that is harder.

DD is an interesting case in that her comprehension appears to be much better than her vocabulary, which actually isn't all that great for a kid of her general ability.

Anyway, I do have a couple of suggestions. DD recently read Rabbit Hill, by Robert Lawson, which is aimed at younger children but has a Lexile of 1050. She has also been reading the Borrowers series--its exiles vary a somewhat ridiculous amount but range from 770 to 910. There is this series called Fairy Chronicles that DD has been reading off and on since she was in K whose Lexiles are mysteriously high, IMO--1050 or so. I don't think they merit those Lexiles but if you were looking for books that appeal to young girls and are not inappropriate, they sure would work.

Last edited by ultramarina; 10/18/11 10:30 AM.