Originally Posted by AntsyPants
DS's has been high and getting higher with each testing so I neve question it. His teacher told him to "keep doing whatever it is hes doing" Should I tell her he's been zooming through tons of books, all 500 pts below his Lexile Level???
Same thing with DD: big score gains during the year but reading the same age-level books in the same series through 2nd grade.

This quote is interesting:
Within a single chapter of Pride and Prejudice, for example, 125-word excerpts of text (the unit of assessments used to obtain students� Lexile levels) that were pulled from every 1,000 words had Lexiles that ranged from 670 to 1310, with an average of 952. The range of 640 on the LS represents the span from third grade to college.
Also, Pride and Prejudice has a Lexile score of 1090 and the children's book Paddington at Large has a score of 1160! My DD read that particular Paddington book with relish, laughing along the way, but when she tried reading Pride and Prejudice recently on one of her nightly reading homework sessions just for fun, she only made it through 23 pages before putting it down feeling exhausted, uninterested, and probably somewhat baffled.

Her 3rd grade teacher told us about the Five Finger Rule which I think is good commond sense at least from a comprehension standpoint. I'll be using that to help DD pick out books, and just ignore Lexile from now on.