2giftgirls, Different Minds and Misdagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Gifted Children and Adults are probably going to be must reads for you. They really look into how to tell the difference between gifted/bored v. gifted/ADHD, also Gifted/no-peers v. gifted/social-deficit, etc. It's been very useful for me to read about straight gifted v. gifted/ADHD v. ND/ADHD. And it's been very useful to read both books as they both have similar but slightly different takes on these issues.

I have just been through the drama of whether to test DD on or off meds. We decided to test her on them, if her medication trial worked out, and it failed miserably (she puked the Ritalin back up within 2hrs). So she was re-tested sans meds. If we ever find medication that works for her than she can tolerate and it makes a big difference then we may look at re-testing her in a year or two I guess. But I don't regret getting her tested now sans medication, it's still going to give us a picture of where she is now and a useful talking point for dealing with school.