Originally Posted by DeeDee
Our DS is loving, too. It's perfectly possible to have a charming, cheerful, loving child who also has AS. (My DS is the only fourth grader who'll still hold his mom's hand on the way home from school. Which means the mom has to gently discourage it, so he won't be picked on. Sigh.)

Alrighty then... I've apparently been thinking in stereotypical terms in regard to AS. The above sounds familiar to me.

Thanks for the book recommendations. I will see if I can get my hands on those. I have a few, but I've not found them helpful.

(I dislike the term Aspie--you wouldn't give a nickname to any other disability...)
Sorry to offend. I don't normally use that, but in reading on the proposed DSM-V revision for AS, I ran across many AS people who seemed to love their "Aspie" label and name. I didn't realize it was offensive to some. Thanks for the heads-up.

If you pursue it, I'd seek out an autism center that sees and treats lots and lots of kids; it increases the odds that they've seen one sort of like yours, though the percentage of AS kids with DYS-level scores is very small.

Your advice seems wise. I hadn't thought of an autism center. Thank you for all of your recommendations. I think my eyes have been opened, and I'm thinking at this point that we probably should go ahead and see if we can find someone to see him again. I will try to remember to update this thread.