Hello,
I am new to the boards. I came on because I am very frustrated and looking for help. My DS is in third grade, 8 1/2 years old. When he was in first grade, almost 7, we had him tested because he was under-performing in public school and also not being selected for the reading pull-out that was offered. The head psychologist at the practice where he was tested mentioned a few months ago that there is a discrepancy with his scores, the processing speed is much lower than the others, and that he'd get back to me, but he never did. His third grade teacher just told me that he is rushing through his school work and not trying his best, that he is extremely bright but he needs to demonstrate this in his class work before he qualifies to be "pulled-out". Here are his scores on the Wechsler: Full Scale IQ- 141-99.7%; Verbal Comprehension Index - 138 IQ-99%; Perceptual Reasoning, 137-99%, Working Memory, 132-98%, PRocessing Speed Index, 118-88%. For the breakdown on Processing, he received for Coding a Scaled Score of 12 and Percentile of 75, and for Symbol Search, a Scaled Score of 14 and Percentile of 91. Does anyone out there know what could explain this discrepancy? We did find in first grade after he took this Wechsler that he had/has convergence insufficiency in his eyes (one eye gets tired and goes out) and have been working on this and it's much improved. Could there be some kind of learning disability to explain the low processing? Could someone elucidate this for me? Could it explain why he rushes through the class work and doesn't like to sit and read? Help?!?

Last edited by Mom2Gifted101; 10/04/11 10:11 AM.