Oh, I have a friend who went to college at 15 and did just fine. Dated lots of girls, joined a fraternity, graduated from college as a teenager, married one of his college sweethearts, and got a PhD from Yale. Seems like he had a double major, too, in two very different subjects. Has been working for several years as a professor at the college he considered his top choice. He went to ours instead because it offered him a better merit scholarship.

Every kid is different, but many gifted kids find that their social lives in college are much better than they were in high school. I say let the kids choose some college campuses to visit and weight their input very heavily, if not let them make their own decisions.

But our alma mater was one where freshmen were much more likely to get in than transfer students. I think the odds were something like 1:2 or 1:3 for freshmen and 1:20 for transfers. I'm not sure I ever heard of anybody getting AP credit there, either, though plenty had done well on the AP exam.