things are fairly depressing at our public school which is a top performing school in an upper middle class community: class size has doubled since they let go of teachers, and the gifted program is cut. Also, support positions are limited so teachers have to manage behavior problem and special needs kids alongside the gifted. They don't even start to work with the gifted coordinator until 2nd or 3rd and my DD is only in K. They are talking about simple shapes and colors in her class, and there isn't any time for recess, crafts, and a decent snack since they are rushing through their short day, and focusing on academics that are much too easy. They have told me that by the end of September that they will have figured out how to group students according to ability, and thankfully, we know of another boy of similar ability (as far as I know) in her class. Fortunately, my DD5 isn't complaining yet. She is outgoing and social and the short day is a plus from her perspective.
Oh, her teacher is kind hearted and well intended, just overwhelmed with a huge diverse class with kids with behavior issues. I thought my DD5 might have problems in the class but she has been adjusting well and not acting out at all. The teacher met with me and said that she asks my DD questions that she thinsk are beyond the others so I think my DD feels more respected than she did by her pre-k teacher who would just baby talk to her. I think her teacher still shoots too low, but it is better than last year.

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 09/14/11 03:54 AM.