I am in need to talk to someone that won't be judgemental and think I am crazy, about this issue I have with DS3 (almost 4). So glad I can come here! This is the story.

DS3 was allowed into PreK early after I pushed for a PreK "readiness test". So I was happy and relieved about that. BUT, here we are, 2 months into it and I am hearing complaints from him. He says things like "They won't LET me try hard". "I am only learning THIS much when I want to learn THIS much" (Showing me the amount with his fingers). I can understand his frustration when I hear them working on letters, numbers and colors....DS is reading chapter books, doing double digit subtraction/addition beginning multiplication and writing LONG, full sentence stories on the computer...

My question to you experienced parents to gifted children is, DO I WORRY ABOUT HIS SCHOOL SITUATION AT THIS POINT?
Thoughts go through my mind like,

* Should I get a tutor for him a couple of times a week to satisfy his hunger to learn?

*What can I demand from the school?

*Should I just leave it alone and let him sit around and listen to things he learned at 20 months of age?

*Will it take away his passion to learn to not feel like he IS learning?

They have been working a lot on handwriting which was not a strength of his 2 months ago. Well, since he started school ALL HE DOES IS WRITE! Seriously, hours every day. He has moved on to lowercase writing and is getting excellent at it. I am assuming up until now he felt he WAS at least learning handwriting in school. But now that he has reached a level he feels is acceptable for now he needs more and more and more...

I keep thinking that they always say that the social part is what is really important at this age...well, to be honest, DS doesn't relate well to kids his own age. He prefers much older friends and adults.

Please, any comments are appreciated! Am I stressing about this for no reason? I just keep thinking, if the issues with not learning enough is starting already what a struggle we will have down the line...

EDITED to add: I am thinking about enrolling him in KUMON classes. Probably just math for now. Any thoughts about this program?

Thanks a million! Annie

Last edited by 1111; 09/13/11 11:57 AM.