***Update***

We've quit the game.

DD8 and I went to meet the teacher. Here's all the reasons we decided it was so horribly wrong it isn't worth bothering to go tomorrow for the real first day:

1. DD8 noticed that all the books in the 3rd/4th room were baby chapter books, and the bigger books were all ones she'd read before.

2. When we asked the teacher about it, she indicated that she rotates her books throughout the year, and these are her beginning of the year books. (Even DD8 knew that the teacher should be providing books that the students need and not just rotating the books on some pre-determined schedule.)

3. There were slightly larger chapter books, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and Mysterious Benedict Society, but she's read all those already. Years ago, in some cases.

4. The teacher did not use this as an opportunity to connect with DD8 and find out what books she likes, etc.

5. When I asked how they were going to split the kids, either based on grade or based on ability, she said they have to go by grade for the district. When I probed further and suggested we meet in the next couple of weeks to talk, she had the nerve to put me off and suggest that there is going to be a curriculum night coming up and that might make things clearer for me.

So, the teacher is going to provide books on a schedule, and stick like Velcro to the curriculum rules from the district. I re-reviewed the scope and the sequence of just the math curriculum for the 3rd and 4th grade and DD has mastered it all already.

So, the game is up. We've reached the final play. New game starts tomorrow. How am I going to do this? I don't know. But, I know in my heart that watching her spin her wheels and trying to lie to her and say it's all right is the wrong decision.

I know that this is wrong on their part, and normally I leave no windmills un-tilted, but I don't want to put my child front and center in my personal battle with the school district to get her something they don't want to give her.

Thanks for all of your advice! DD8 is really excited. Back to conic sections and large long division problems!

JennyM

JennyM

Please send PM if I've been unclear. Many thoughts - so little time.