Hi everyone,

I'm sure this is something everyone faces with a gifted child who has ADHD. My DD8 is HG/PG. She knows it. Her giftedness generally overrides the ADHD, especially at school. But, she's showing signs of being "done" with school. This is NOT a year I can start homeschooling her. She has informed us that she wants to skip a grade. She's been placed in a 3rd/4th split classroom, which was my request because it will probably be painfully obvious by about week 2 that she knows all the 4th grade curriculum, too. What the school will do about this I don't know, but it's a start.

But, here's the sticky wicket: she struggles with doing the uninteresting basics. We're trying to help her understand that at least in this school setting, teachers will be watching to see what she knows starting from the ground up. Just because she knows conic sections, she still has to produce addition facts quickly. I think this carries over all math settings, where the three big ideas are fast, flexible, and accurate (Sorry - I'm a former teacher!). I can't disagree with the typical school system expectations but I know that if she dawdles and fusses about this, she's going to get overlooked as a gifted child ready to move on to more complex math.

Does anyone have advice on how to talk to a child about how she might consider playing the teachers' "games" so she can get what she wants out of the situation?

Anyone with 2e kids see something I'm missing? Is this a case where the ADHD and the giftedness are fighting it out? I don't want her to skip these basic foundational concepts, but when she has to think for a minute to remember what 5 plus 7 is sometimes, I'm concerned...

Thanks,

JennyM

JennyM

Please send PM if I've been unclear. Many thoughts - so little time.