TX G, IMO it's actually an important part of the class's education as social beings that they understand whatever W's issues are. They are going to spend their whole lives coming into at least sporadic contact with people with disabilities. Quite a few of them (and us) are going to BECOME people with disabilities through accident or age. It will be a nasty shock for them/us when they/we find that they/we are ignored or worse.

Teaching the students to ostracize that student isn't productive even in the short term; it will probably make W's behavior worse.

I do feel that W's behavior should not be allowed to interfere with the class's progress, or with the progress of the students who are seated with W, but there are strategies for managing this. I hope W's parents and the school are working on it.

Totally with Kate on the embarrassment factor for W. Imagine if you said regrettable things that you didn't mean when you were stressed. Not fun. I find it useful to assume a kid like this is doing the best he can at that point in time, until there's evidence to the contrary.

Knute974, thanks for your thoughtful responsiveness. This stuff is NOT easy for anybody.

DeeDee