Originally Posted by DeeDee
Originally Posted by geofizz
I suspect he also knows he mumbles a lot and that people can't understand him, so he speaks more clearly to strangers.

Can you nicely pretend that your ears aren't working when he mumbles, and ask him to "repeat it clearly"?

Our kids both went through a whining phase; we simply couldn't hear them when they whined, and it was a blessedly short phase as a result.

Originally Posted by geofizz
The school psychologist blew me off. He won't tell me the agenda for the meeting: "Talk to your classroom teacher." Grrrrr. Dude, you're the one that called the meeting...

Uh-oh. That is... bizarre. Can you get the school's person in charge of IAT meetings (the EIS or equivalent) on the phone? I don't think they'd call a meeting to berate you for having your kid tested, but failure to answer basic questions seems like trouble to me.

Good luck--
DeeDee

"Repeat it clearly" leads to him dramatically simplifying what he's said. Instead of me missing some of the details of "We lined up in the room and then Mrs. A. walked us out of the room into the hall, we turned north, went through the cafeteria - oh and we saw Mr. F on the way and he said 'good morning kindergarteners' and then we went into a room next to the cafeteria. It was the art room. But we get a different teacher for that, nor Mrs. A. .... ..... ...."

A request to say that kind of thing clearly becomes:

"We went to art."

Once we have an EIS, I'll be calling her. I think she starts next week.