At 7, your DS still is very young. Could there be some old fashioned asynchrony going on? Has he displayed proficiency with other fine motor skills? Maybe the school would let him give oral responses or accept parental scribing to reduce some of his writing load as you work on his written output. I would hope that the school would be willing to work with you. Telling a child to write faster when there may be a physical or mental challenge will only make him write slower. They unwittingly may be contributing to his anxiety. I would try to get the school involved in working through a solution.

As for our situation, my DD9 has a dyslexia/dysgraphia diagnosis. Her oral responses are so much more complex than her written ones that I know there is a lot more in that head than what shows in writing. I suspect that anxiety and perfectionism play a huge role in her lack of output. She is so worried about spelling something wrong or not forming her letters correctly that she literally freezes up. We've tried scribing and then letting her copy. We've tried telling her to write without regard to spelling or punctuation. It hasn't worked.

For us, we are working with the school to get her keyboarding this year. We worked with an OT this summer. They suspect she may have some unidentified executive function issues. I read the book Late Lost and Unprepared based on their recommendation. They did have a small section on dysgraphia but most of it was about ADD and didn't really fit our situation. We had a meeting to discuss incorporating more keyboarding into her classroom routine. We are hoping that separating the physical act of writing from the content of her writing will improve her output. Right now we are in wait and see mode.