Originally Posted by st pauli girl
Originally Posted by justamomNC
He's funny because it's almost as if he just isn't interested. He has known how to spell his name since 2 and the letters in his name. Then he'll almost play games with you if you ask him what a letter is. Like, i'll show him C and he'll say 'G' laugh and THEN say C.

After reading this, there's a chance he might just be playing you... When my DS was about that age, he wouldn't answer questions if he already knew the answer. He would joke and give you a fake answer. If he had some activity book, and he already knew the answer or thought it was too easy, he would make up some new answer or do it his own way to make things more interesting.

This is also what I thought. He likely does already know the letter names (when he learned the ABC song), and likely many of their sounds.

If I were in your situation, (as you describe it), I would drop the letter recognition and go to the next level. He sounds like the "class clown" when he's bored with what he already knows.

Try him out on, "PH", "CH", "ST", etc.

We have enjoyed the DVD's by Rock 'N Learn.

Something I have done for our son since he was very little is to always have something available that is at least two years beyond his perceived level. He's surprised us many times.