Originally Posted by jenbrdsly
Gifted people like to argue, as I'm sure we are all aware.
Lol, now if I argue with that sweeping generalisation I get into logical trouble, don't I? Actually I only like to argue about some things, in some ways, with some people, sometimes. But yes, as generalisations go...

Yes, I browsed your blog. Can I ask why you decided to teach your children so systematically from so young? [Maybe you've written about it, I didn't read every entry.] I thought and read about such decisions a lot, and came to the opposite conclusion to you: I decided not to teach my baby to read, for example, and did no more than answer his questions in maths before he started school. Yet as we were recently discussing, he was starting to read before he could talk and was spelling-obsessed by 2.5: I know exactly what GeoMamma means:
Originally Posted by GeoMamma
I sometimes think my oldest DS was just sent to 'break me' so I wouldn't cling to any particular method too tightly. Sometimes it would be lovely to have that certainty back.

Similarly, I'm a bit bemused by the idea of teaching an understanding of fractions (though I'm sure teachers have to be able to do it!) I don't remember teaching DS, but he learned anyway. The one thing I do remember was that as he was interested in fractions we gave him a set of magnetic fraction tiles in his Christmas stocking just after he turned 5. I have a piece of his writing that he did in school shortly afterwards. It says
Originally Posted by Colin
My favourite christmas present was my magnetik fracshun tieys.
I treasure that smile

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail