Originally Posted by Taminy
All of which begs the question....is there any good
screener out there that schools can use to accurately identify students who are slipping under the radar due to learning style, lack of opportunity/exposure, language proficiency, etc.? And, without taking an individual IQ test, how do parents get an accurate picture of their children's typicality or atypicality? Maybe that's not possible? And is there any role for context in helping schools accurately identify needs? Or will that just lead to inaccurate parent reporting for fear that information they share will be used against them?

Well, I can't answer your question, but I can say that the most useful tests in terms of finding out where my kid is compared to his classmates and where he should be going next have been the NWEA MAP tests. The schools that use these best will group kids with similar scores together and provide appropriate content based on what the students already know. And though of course we're talking GT, these tests are useful to educating of all kids, GT or not. Avoids the whole issue of GT - teach the the readiness of the kid. (Yes, of course this is an oversimplified response.)

Last edited by st pauli girl; 07/10/11 03:16 PM.