Originally Posted by sblora
We are going to apply for DYS, any help is very much appreciated. What exactly is GAI and how is it figured, we didn't receive that score with our reports.

thanks,
Shannon
Good that you are appying to DYS. I would put in an application for your older son as well, IQ plus portfolio - he may not get accepted at this time, but my guess is that his GAI is over 145.
Opps - my eyeballs slipped and I misread. DS#1 is solidly gifted, but may well have lots of peers. A full skip might still be a great idea of him, depends on what they are teaching compared to what he is ready to learn.

GAI is 'general abilities index' and based on the strenths of Verbal and Performance without the 'hiderance' of the speed and WM index which are subject to cooperation issues. Don't get me wrong - those scores are very high, and not low enough to signal any kind of problem, but they are low enough to give a falsely deflated FSIQ.

We can calculate GAI if you post the 3 subtests in Verbal and Performance subscales or your tester can.

I think that you should skip both kids 'for now.' If by the time they are in Middle School you see any reason that they can't 'compete' with their current grade, you can keep them home for a year 'going deep' or you can send them to private school for an extra year of 8th grade so they will be ready for the local competition. The idea is to try and meet their needs at the time, and stay flexible.

I thought my son was ready and he did 9th grade, age 13, at the local High School and we all saw that he wasn't ready, so I sent him to private school to repeat 9th grade. Apparently that happens very frequently even with boys who weren't skipped to start with.

But I wonder if your older son isn't so angry because he feels shamed by being given 'baby work' and treated 'like a baby' by his teachers. This was a big issue with my son. Lack of challenge was making him second guess himself, on top of the yearning to learn.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Last edited by Grinity; 07/05/11 03:59 PM. Reason: eyeball misread OP

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com