I am in NC. My older children have a DEP. News to me, but I just got a letter home from the school for my daughter and am paying attention now. My older son must have one, too, as he is in the same program.

The program they are in is NOT "individualized" (by my definition), it is a pull out for math and reading, and I would say about 20% of the grade participates. It has a more in depth curriculum, that all children in that program participate. My DEP refers to a "conference to discuss your child's plan" this week, and from my experience last year, it is a crowded meeting with tons of parents of all children involved, where you sign your form, and ask questions if you have them, and you are done. Certainly not a "discussion" to discuss "my" child, by any means of the imagination. Have never attended an individual meeting, discussed what they are being taught, etc. They are just at a higher cluster, and I am ok with that (they are technically "Gifted" by the program's standards, but I would not call this program acceptable for someone that is truly "gifted", rather kids that are above average)

Intresting.... that an IDP must be more geared towards the individual student's needs... if they don't qualify for the mass herding of above average students?? Seems to me that it should be the other way around.

My youngest is way above the above average herd, yet she has still to "qualify" for either, because the standards below the 3rd grade level are very high. I do think, from my recent reading, that she does and did qualify for an IDP, and they dropped the ball by not giving her one, because they excused her fully from all curriculum this year... with no "official plan" written down.

Last edited by Weids13; 06/06/11 08:12 PM. Reason: meant IDP, not IEP