Originally Posted by Kerry
...in many places, a teacher's pay and their school's funding (so essentially their jobs) are all tied to closing the achievement gap... I physically don't have enough hours in a day to do much of anything for my higher end kids.

When I do "rebel" and take time for them I get asked all sorts of questions about why I haven't been keeping up with X,Y, and Z, and don't I realize that if they don't show " a year's worth of growth" our school could get in trouble or our school grade could drop and we could lose what little money we get?

So, as much as you would like to think that teachers are sacrificing our kids for the good of the other end, I seriously believe that many are doing it because they honestly believe that our kids and others like them will succeed, despite all of this nonsense.

I agree with everything you said, except for the part about the kids succeeding anyway. I disagree there and present as partial evidence 1. our poor performance on international tests, 2. our need to import grad students and skilled workers, 3. the existence of this board and the many stories we've read here. Proficient on a standardized test is a long way from excellent in any domain.

It seems to me that the US is beginning to fall behind other countries, and if too many of those educated smart people from abroad decide to leave, we'll be in trouble.

Our education system just doesn't create people who are thoughtful. But that's another story. I met my deadline and now I must eat!!

Val

Last edited by Val; 06/02/11 07:51 PM. Reason: Clarity