Thanks I had posted his results under the testing section of this forum. A copy is below

Hi
My son aged 6 had a WISC IV IQ test and the scaled scores were as follows:-

Verbal comprehension (VCI)
Similarities � 16
Vocab � 12
Comprehension � 17

Perceptual reasoning
Block design � 14
Picture concepts -12
Matrix reasoning -12

Working memory
Digit span � 8
Letter number sequencing � 11

Processing speed
Coding � 10
Symbol search - 10

Due to the disparity of results there was no overall IQ score but the VCI was 130. Hope it is OK to post here as we are in England and the test was done by the NHS. Their overall conclusion was that he does not have a deficit in any area and even his lowest score of 8 on the digit span is �within an average level�.

Am I correct that a score of 8 is on the 25th centile and that anything between the 25th and 75th centile is average in the UK?

There were no recommendations for school to alter their approach based on these results. We advised the educational psychologist that we have simplified the way we give instructions at home which has been successful for us but she did not appear to understand why we would do this and advised that he does not have any difficulties with auditory processing. Our reasoning is that we tend to talk to him at a level of his comprehension (several years ahead of his age) but his ability to follow our instruction is worse than his 3 year old brother which we felt might be due to his short term auditory memory.

If he were happy at school we would not be concerned about recommendations for them but unfortunately he is very frustrated by his work, often angry at playtimes and reluctant to go to school. He is not achieving anything much at school from the little we know for example he gets his maths wrong as he reverses his numbers. He refuses to write and is unable to form his letters correctly and says he is always the last to finish any task. He has told his teacher he does not need to learn to write. However at home he is interested in everything, constantly questioning and discussing things and spends most of his time reading highly technical books on space or science although he will on occasion read fiction too such as Roald Dahl.

All advice on this IQ result and any suitable recommendations for school based on these scores are welcome or for us to help our son.

Many thanks