I have a curiosity question for those of you with high schoolers. How many of your children's schools have actual gifted certified/endorsed teachers in high school?

I get the feeling that there are not many, if any at all once kids leave middle school. I know the rationale is that once you get into high school, there isn't a need there because of AP and the IB and the option of dual enrollment.

I have been toying with the idea of getting my gifted certification for a while now, but have never heard any one talk about how this sort of program would look, or work at the high school level. Since I am a physics teacher, that is where I would be interested in working as a gt teacher.

I know this may sound strange to some of you, but I have actually found that even in the IB and AP classes that I have taught, I can pick out a gifty a mile away, and am often still not able to give them what they need because the courses are so challenging for all of the other hard working/high achieving students in the class.

I think there is a big need for gt knowledgeable/trained teachers in high school and was wondering if anyone with experience with one would let me know how effective that teacher seemed to be at meeting your child's needs.

Thanks,
Kerry