It actually does not blur as much as you would think. The gifted kids still look at the subject matter in a different way than the non-gifted, and their need for more is still there. In some respects it actually makes the difference more pronounced in various ways, whether it be because the gifted kids can keep up with the usually fast pace of the APs and others struggle or have to work really hard to do so, or in the opposite side, gifted kids have never had to work before getting to AP classes and now don't know how to do the volume of work that is sometimes required.

It is interesting to hear what you all have said here. I am still looking for a program I can do while working and having 2 young kids, so this may have to wait a couple more years.

While I agree that APs can satisfy a gifted kid's academic interests, I'm not convinced they give them what they need. I have had many gifted kids take lots of APs and breeze through most of them, while their non-gifted peers struggle like crazy to keep up.