It is time for me to look into the issues my dd14 is having with math. I suspect memory or attention weakness, dyslexia or dyscalculia or something I've never heard of... She came home with another D on a math test that I was sure she would have Aced; the night before she had explained all the steps to me/figured all the problems correctly. No wonder she hates math; she gets the rug pulled out from under her.

I have been reading the 2e forum thread and the Mislabeled Child book, but I don't know how to get from here to a "diagnosis".

My question is what kind of tester would I take her to and what type of tests should she take? would she need a complete IQ and achievement test? Would I ask the school system to do the tests, or is that something that you've regretted? Is there an economical way to do this -- like test through the school but have an outside person look at the scores (or is that a mistake?). Do I start with our pediatrician?

Any information you'd like to share about the path you took to have your child diagnosed would be helpful to me. I am a real newbie, so assume I know nothing...

Last edited by herenow; 05/26/11 09:59 AM.