Kcab-

They only have pull out for math enrichment, 50 minutes once a week. DS won't go most of the time (because it is at the same time as math, and he will be at the middle school at that point) . Language arts is a push-in enrichment once a week, which he will do - it isn't really a big deal, but should be nice.

Our science is the same way as yours, it isn't an actual set "period" in elementary - that is part of their concern. If DS went to middle school for science he would always be missing something else. I can respect that, even if I would reach a different outcome (or figure out a way to schedule it so that it wouldn't be an issue).

I am hopeful that one thing we might be able to do is have him on the middle school robotics team. He has worked with older kids on robotic projects before, and done just fine, so it seems like that might be a good bridge (they are just starting robotics at the middle school I believe).

I continue to be amazed at the school district's concern that the older kids will be mean or bully him (we have a very strong anti-bullying program here). Has anyone had a bullying issue with a kid who was accelerated so much? Our experience this year was that the older kids really took him under their wing and were super nice to him - he was kind of a mascot. In fact, this year, the kids in his math class asked that he be included in their 5th grade yearbook! I am much more concerned about the receiving middle school teacher than I am about the kids!

Cat

Last edited by Catalana; 05/23/11 03:12 PM. Reason: typo