We had our meeting with DS9's principal yesterday. DS is currently accelerated 2 years in math. We had requested that he also be accelerated in science next year. He had also taken the end of 5th grade math test that determines whether you skip 6th grade math and go straight to 7th grade/pre-Algebra, and we were supposed to be given the results.

So, he scored very highly on the test and thus he will go to 7th grade math at the middle school next year (there was some discussion of him doing online math, but thankfully that wasn't their proposal, as DS likes working with other kids). We will have to take him to the middle school for math for period 1, pick him up after math and drive him up to his own school (luckily both are only a couple minutes away from our home).

They nixed the science acceleration. Allegedly the scheduling would have tricky (they have a rotating period for 6th grade science) and he would have had to miss his specials to make it happen (they could of course changed some of the schedule, but they apparently are not willing to do so. They did say he could do his own science, and he will be mentored by the 6-12 science curriculum supervisor, who is supposed to be terrific.

I am mixed. They still obsess about his emotional health, which makes me crazy, and I am always skeptical about inclass enrichment, because I find it often does not actually happen, but I do feel like they are being reasonable, and I do understand that the scheduling between 2 schools can be hard. Once he has a history with going to the middle school for math (which I am confident will be just fine) they will be more likely to let him accelerate in science next year probably. What do you think?