Originally Posted by beak
Do we go for the best overall school district we can afford, hope for the best with the lottery system (if that's how it works) and see how things go? In the vein of, do the best you can for schooling now, and adjust as necessary?

My advice would be:

1) spend some time in his classroom right now and see what's going on.

2) Test.

3) If you were considering buying, maybe consider renting, or maybe buy on the low end so if you have to go private, you can do it without breaking the bank. I wish we had rented for a while following our move. The first years of school k-3 may give you a really good sense of what's going to work for him, although your child's needs may change over time. Once you've recovered from the move/testing/acclimating whirlwind, you will (hopefully) have made contact with other gifted parents which will help you make a well-informed decision. I can't tell you how many stories I know of people buying a house in a "really good school system" and realizing after a year that it wasn't going to work for their child. In this market, it is an expensive, time consuming process to correct course if you have to sell your house.