I feel for you. Reading aloud to my children was one of the greatest pleasures of their childhood for me. I read to D2 almost every night until she was 14 smile And... we LOVE Enid Blyton, so it is great to hear of others who also love her.

A couple of thoughts:
- Try some of the different Enid Blyton series. There are the Secret Seven, Malory Towers, and the St. Claire's series. I guess I would stay away from the Adventure series for another year or so, as they have some pretty scary parts -- but they truly were our favorites, so maybe someday you can get to those.
- We set a rule at our house that we had to give a new book at least 2 nights of reading before we gave up on it. That helped ease into a lot of new books over time. You could alternate for a while (old book, new book, old book, etc.)
- Some specific ideas: the Katie John books by Mary Calhoun, the Betsy-Tacy-Tib books, the Boxcar Children (a few scary moments, but overwhelmingly quite safe/sweet), E.L. Konigsburg's books, The Great Brain books. Maybe Emily of New Moon, too.

Good luck... I would be patient with your daughter and keep reading to her. It is such a great pleasure and nice time with them if you can ease her past this period.

Last edited by intparent; 05/16/11 07:57 AM.