I went through that phase too, though later and longer. I grew out of it, though I still prefer books with happy endings. I liked Roald Dahl before 2nd grade and after 4th grade, but between that the Witches literally gave me nightmares.

I strongly recommend the Five Little Peppers series and the Moffits. Edward Eager may also be on the right level of scariness if Charlie and the Chocolate Factory causes no problems (and if she can handle that, then try E. Nesbit). Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. Maybe not Anne of Green Gables because Matthew dies but other series by LM Montgomery. Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm. Heidi. Swallows and Amazons. The Children of Green Knowe. The Bagthorpe Saga. Definitely not Charlotte's Web!

I don't see any reason to traumatize someone sensitive and potentially put them off books for life when there are plenty of books that aren't scary at all but worth reading. I would have lost trust for my mother if she'd forced me to listen to scary things. You don't have to read the same books over and over.