My oldest is much like this. He is a perfectionist. For the most part it has worked out for him in sports as well. I played College football as well as many other sports in High School, they kept me out of "trouble." He does not like to fail and has some issues when he does not get things right the first time. With some guidance and being his biggest cheerleader, he has gotten to the point where he can work past those mistakes to improve his game. He plays QB for his youth football team. HE is a forward on his soccer team. The 3 years we played inline hockey before we moved he was a wonderful defenseman because that is what he reasoned he could do to be successful to help the team the most. And there in lies the biggest help. It is a phrase my college coaches used and i still use it. Everyone has a purpose on a team, coach need to put you in the best stop to do the most good and you need to be the best you, you can be. On the Teams of his I have coached, I tell him I put people in positions to be successful and that is my responsiblity. With his intellect he understood that just fine.