Although I have daughters, both were Girl Scouts. My younger one (gifted, borderline Aspergers) never really got into scouts. She did it for several years, but it never really "caught fire". Her older sister (smart, but not highly gifted, and definitely not Aspie) stuck with it all the way through high school and her Gold Award, but the younger one was never that enthused.

Really, my younger one did not truly find activities that she loved until she got to high school. She tried quite a few things over the years, and has finally happily settled into Quiz Bowl, fencing, and Future Problem Solvers for her main extracurriculars. I have to say, she has found more kids like herself (Aspie-like) in those activities that in scouts (or 4H, which she still does, but only projects for the fair... she hates the meetings). I agree with the suggestion that if he has given it a good try and it isn't fitting, let him move to something else.

One suggestion is to give him a list of other things to pick from. When younger daughter wanted to quit her school sport at the end of 9th grade (which I could see was not a great fit for her anyway), I told her she had to do something active, and gave her a list of options. Told her she could come up with things not on the list. Fencing was on my list, and she decided to try that. As mentioned above, it has been a GREAT fit and she really likes it. But as an Aspie kid, it is unlikely she would have come up with the idea on her own.