Coders, who were not aware of subjects� IQ scores or the hypothesis of the study, rated each subject�s motivation based on a standard rubric of behaviors, such as refusing to answer questions or obviously rushing through the test to make it end as quickly as possible.

Interesting...

I have to hypothesize, however-- (based upon my experience of parenting a kid who is a social prodigy)-- that it is entirely possible that motivation becomes less overt as one moves up in IQ. In other words, the higher someone's IQ, the more probable that they can HIDE a lack of intrinsic motivation or cooperation.

Not entirely sure just how one could correct for that in such an experiment, actually.

It seems to me that, based upon the parameters listed anyway, this study did more to monitor compliance in a fairly overt fashion than anything else. I'm not sure that compliance and motivation are necessarily synonymous.

And what about passive non-compliance? The non-confrontational sort? I've seen enough of that with DD to know that it is REALLY tough to tease out what "genuine effort" at a task looks like.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.