Anderson used the SB when they controlled their admissions. So when you took the test for Hunter, you could submit it for Anderson. But there was too much room for parents to manipulate and didn't open up the process for kids who couldn't afford the SB or parents who were not connected.

A threatening law suit from the AG in NY told them to change the system. Hence the DOE moved to the OLSAT which was cheap to administer to the whole city.

But they should have made it harder so the curve didn't top out the way it does for kids entering 2nd grade. It is ridiculous for DD to get 98th for perfect score and your son to get 92nd for perfect score. On the OLSAT portion, DD got one wrong and a 99th percentile, with her Sept birthday. I do not know how many she could get wrong. I was sure she totally screwed up because it took her 25 minutes and it was supposed to take over an hour. When she walked in after the test, my heart sank, I was totally sure she couldn't have done well in 25 minutes.

She showed me. But what a stupid test. And even now, I have to see if there are any spots for 2nd grade and if she gets lucky in the lottery for any spots.

Ren