Hi. I am not sure if I belong on this forum or not. I have a son with autism. He is turning 6 in a few weeks. I have always known that he is smart. He typically tests high average to above average on testing. But he is never interested in the tests, non-compliant, gets up and walks around or wants to do other stuff instead of the test. His school ST is really good at motivating him to work to his best so I was happy that she was going to test him for language. She did the TOLD4 test and I was surprised that most of the composites were in the 130's. The only score that wasn't "superior" or "very superior" was Listening. That one was high average with a SS or 114.

She did the TOPL and his score was 103- but given his ASD diagnosis I thought it would be lower.

So I just left his last ppt meeting with my head spinning.... His negative issues are so severe that he is being outplaced to a special school which was the main point of this last IEP meeting. But now I wonder if I'm missing something else.

He's had cognitive testing twice. The WPPSI when he was 4.5 showed non-verbal IQ 119 and Verbal 101. But he was non-compliant, kept running around the room etc so the Dr said those scores were lower than his ability....

Then when he was 5 he had the DAS II in a ASD research study and his verbal was 117 and non-verbal was 91. Again a split, but in the opposite direction from the last testing. Again, he kept getting up to fixate on a mirror and was disinterested with the testing.

So I guess I wonder if I belong on this board? I'm not sure what types of scores are even considered gifted and my son's scores aren't really THAT high. I'll probably be reading a lot around here to see if this is something I should pursue with my son.

Jennifer

Jennifer