I have mixed feelings, most of which are based on this school system's notoriety for randomly and inexplicably screwing ESE kids. And historically, having the weight of an IEP hasn't made a lot of difference, other than upping the ante to include attorney expenses.
Based purely on my daughter, I would absolutely not hesitate to go off-paper. Realistically, she's not getting special services. There have been no behavioral concerns, at least none that I'm aware of. She will finish the school year with at least a 3.83 GPA (out of 4). Taking this year, independently, I would absolutely, unqualifiedly say we don't need the safeguards.
BUT...(and we all knew there was one)...the last time she had a good year it was followed by a horrible one. So I'm not entirely comfortable basing anything just on this year.
The conclusion I've come to, at this point, is that I'm not going to offer to downsize. And if the school suggests discontinuing altogether, I'm going to fight it. I'm willing to go for a 504, but I'm also planning to handwrite on the signature form that I am agreeing with the provision that we will convene to revisit the issue at the end of the first 9 weeks. If she's going to have issues, that will be when she'll have them.
Not for nothing, I also emailed the ESE coordinator to say that if the gifted teacher cannot attend, I want the meeting rescheduled. (Having the meeting without addressing half the issue seems pretty silly to me, but I'd bet money that never occurred to the case manager.)

We'll see what happens tomorrow morning. Or is it "stay tuned tomorrow..."? <g>

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."